I am a cancer survivor. Modern medicine absolutely saved my life, as it does many others. We have the best health care system on the planet when it comes to acute care. There is no other place on the globe that I would want to get shot, have a heart attack, or have a stroke. Miracles happen every day in these areas.
But what about chronic care? This is where we miss the boat. Our country spends way more on healthcare per capita than any other country. We consume 75% of the world’s drugs, and yet the World Health Organization ranked the United States 37th in overall health care (right behind Costa Rica at 36th). Go USA!!!!!
The reasons for this are far and wide, but what I want to do is share with you the 14 keys to achieving true health. So here they are:
Here are the 7 things you need to stop doing right now.
1. Drinking soda. It doesn’t matter if its real sugar or high fructose corn syrup. This stuff is toxic. The blood sugar rush alone is enough to drive inflammation, cause diabetes, and literally kill your brain (Alzheimer’s is also known as type 3 diabetes.) The chemicals are there to addict you and keep you coming back.
2. Diet Soda. What about diet? Just don’t. Aspartame turns into formaldehyde at 93 degrees Fahrenheit. It causes cancer and rots your gut.
3. Milk. Milk does not do a body good. The process of pasteurization kills the enzymes you need to absorb it. The phosphorous content actually pulls calcium from your bones. Get your calcium from greens (leaves, not M and M’s).
4. Margarine. This stuff is not food. It was designed to fatten turkeys, but it killed them. Avoid it like the plague. Use butter and coconut oil instead.
5. Flu Shot. Every year, the media scares us into lining up for this crap. It contains mercury, aluminum, and formaldehyde. You are better off following the guidelines I will outline below.
6. Fast Food. If you pull up to one window, give someone money, and pull to a second window and get a sack of garbage- this is fast food. In a pinch, you can make better choices by skipping the fries for a salad and leaving the bun or tortilla off (Chipotle burrito bowl)
7. Junk Food- here is where I preach that “if it comes in a wrapper, it is junk”. Really what I want you to do is read the label. More than 3 ingredients? Skip it. Ingredients you can’t pronounce, put it back.
Things to start doing
1. Eat protein and fat for breakfast- To maximize your potential, do not put sugar or grains in your mouth in the morning (or at all for that matter). Skip the bagels, muffins (aka breakfast cake), cereal and juice. My breakfast of choice is a banana, greens (I hate salad, so I drink it), unsweetened almond milk, a splash of coconut oil, and my favorite protein powder from US Enzymes. Other than that, please pass the bacon, eggs, and ham.
2. Drink Water. This is really simple. Take your body weight. Divide that number by two. This is the number of ounces you should drink a day. For me, my goal is 100 oz.
3. Exercise- I know. About 80% of you just rolled your eyes at me, but the facts remain. You have to move. Start wherever it is that you are. Your goal is 5 days a week. 40 minutes a day. This is shown to increase insulin receptors on your cells. My movement of choice? Crossfit and the bicycle.
4. Healthy Fats- Use olive oil and coconut oil in everyday cooking. Throw away your vegegatble based oils (soy, conola, etc). Eat more fish and more avocados. The idea here is to reduce your inflammation load, decreasing your blood pressure and risk of heart disease.
5. Bragg’s apple cider vinegar- 1 Tablespoon of this stuff a day in a cup of water (think shots, not sips) is an excellent pH buffer and liver detox. 1 Tablespoon 3 times per day can help bring down your blood sugar.
6. Digestive Enzymes and Stomach Acid Support- There are so many factors involved in this, but the reality is that we just don’t have enough enzymes in us and our stomach is too out of whack to properly digest food. Remember the old saying “you are what you eat”? Well, actually it should be said “you are what you absorb”. My favorites are HCLxym and Digestxym from US Enzymes. These will help you get the nutrients out of your food.
7. Support vitamin D, your B vitamins, and blood flow. All 3 of these play huge rolls in getting blood to your brain and supporting your immune system. It’s a safe bet to say that most supplements and vitamins you buy at the grocery store are garbage. Don’t buy them. Your body won’t absorb them. That is why I recommend a supplement called NerveReverse, even if you don’t have neuropathy. This supplement is a great way to achieve the above objective.
There you have it. There are my 14 things. If you need further clarification, or if I can help in any way, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.
Yours in health,